I’ve started this blog initially to record my plans for and progress on the Live Below the Line challenge, which I will be starting in a few weeks time. I aim to post details including photos of my shopping, what I eat each day, and what it cost.
To spend 5 days feeding myself on £1 a day – the UK equivalent of the extreme poverty line.
To give me a glimpse into the lives of 1.4 billion people who have no choice but to live below the line every day – and who have to make £1 cover a lot more than food…
- I have a total of £5 with which to buy all ingredients for my meals.
- The full cost of all the items I consume must be included in my budget. This means budgeting for whole packets of food items such as rice, pasta, noodles and eggs etc.
- For items such as salt, pepper, herbs and spices, I need to simply work out the cost of each item per gram and budget my shopping proportionally. Separate my items before the challenge so there’s no need to be digging around in my cupboards.
- I can share the cost of ingredients amongst a team, as long as no participant spends more than £1 a day or their total £5 budget. Working as a team will allow me to pool together funds and do more with my cooking. (Anyone local to me want to join my team?)
- I can’t grab a cheeky snack from the cupboard unless I include the cost of buying the item new in my budget.
- I can use food sourced from my garden as long as I can account for the price of production!
- No combination of meals on any given day can exceed the £1 spending limit. Remember this is a challenge to eat creatively and be enjoyed – I shouldn’t at any point deprive myself of three meals a day.
- I cannot accept ‘donated’ food from family or friends, but monetary donations towards my fundraising goals are acceptable, and encouraged!
I’m planning to start my challenge a week later than the main week due to other commitments – so I’ll be doing it from Monday May 14th to Friday May 18th.
If you’d like to sponsor me and raise much needed funds for the Global Poverty Group you can do so here: https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/jenb
Don’t worry if your donation doesn’t appear straight away, from recent experience it can take a number of hours …
And don’t forget to come back here and check my progress!